Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Spinning a Yarn

One of reasons I was inspired to get our my french knitting (and the reason I remember how to do it after all these years!) was a show I saw a few weeks ago the the Perth Fringe Festival.


Ms Polly Ester and Ms Poly Mer - the Plastic Bag Ladies of the Sea - put on a super cool and intimate show called 'Spinning a Yarn'. Inside the Fringe Festival Gardens there is a little wooden tent, draped with colourful yarn creations. A tiny door opens, and the audience - a maximum of 8 fit inside - squeeze in. Absolutely everything inside is covered is knitting!! It was an amazing experience! They told stories and chatted, and as each little knitted sea creature came out they shared with us how plastic is destroying our marine environments. Sad, but true.


We also all joined in to knit on the large knitting loom you can see in the middle of the space - the plastic vortex.... (aha! with that reminder I can now figure out all loom based knitting, including my french knitting!


You can check our more about the show, the concept behind it, and the wonderful presenters on their facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. these guys ar sooo cool - if you look closely you can see remnants of masny old projects donated to them.

    I was there on their first night with some choildren, and one of them nearly cried when the turtle dies...

    ReplyDelete